Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Book Review : 30 Days of Daal by Pragati Bidkar

I have been reading and writing a lot of book reviews across various genres, but then there is always a first time and this first time that I am talking about is reading and reviewing a recipe book or a cookbook. I love food, but then loving and writing about it rather the recipe book are two different things when your knowledge about cooking is like Aryabhatta's invention.

I read 30 Days of Daal, a recipe book that is written by Pragati Bidkar on recipes to make daal. You might be wondering what's special in this, we eat daal everyday and it's a staple food for most of the Indians. What differentiates this book, according to me is the variety it brings in and gives you the option to have 30 different daals for a month from different parts of the country.
Book Review : 30 Days of Daal by Pragati Bidkar
Book Review : 30 Days of Daal by Pragati Bidkar
One need not worry about the ingredient as all you need to make daal is usually available in Indian kitchens. Below is the list of daals that I have eaten out of the thirty mentioned in the book, I won't name the other as I would want you all to go through the book and read.
  1. Daal Tadka (Easily found in restaurants and home, tastes best in a Dhaba)
  2. Tomato Daal (Most homes make this daal)
  3. Yellow Moong Daal (Most homes make this daal)
  4. Black Masoor Daal (Most homes make this daal)
  5. Daal Makhani (Easily found in restaurants and home) 
  6. Parsi Dhansaak (All you need is a Parsi friend or a Parsi restaurant)
  7. Daal Kolhapuri (Visit any Maharashtrian friend or make one)
  8. Palak Daal (Most homes make this daal)
  9. Dalma (Orrisa makes it the best, I had Dalma for a week during my stay in Bhubaneswar)
  10. Daal Fry (Easily found in restaurants and home, tastes best in a Dhaba)
  11. Shevgyacha Kalvan (Visit any Maharashtrian friend or scroll down for the recipe)
Shevgyacha Kalvan Recipe from 30 Days of Daal by Pragati Bidkar
Shevgyacha Kalvan Recipe from 30 Days of Daal by Pragati Bidkar
The recipes are divided in three section viz. Ingredients,  Method, Notes which take you through the complete process of making a particular daal. I am sure if you make these daals for thirty days you would have toured half of India. When I told my mom about the book, the first thing she asked me was, "Kaunsiwali banau inmese". You can click here to know more about the book and the ordering process.
3:51:00 PM / by / 2 Comments

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kaushal,

    Now this is something very different from the usual ones! Good to know that you even explored a recipe book. Really wonder to know that there are 30 types of daal curries. I am sure that I haven't tasted more than 2 out of these 30 daal curries and would love to taste them if i get a chance.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vipin,

      You should at least have these Daal at least once! Get hold of the book and may be you can try your hands at cooking :)

      Thank you for your words.

      Delete

Post Top Ad